"Mohanlal - A memoir of a teenage girl"


Not only Keralites, anyone who has seen his work will admire him as much as Keralites do. But of course except the national award jury or some other few people who follow Malayalam cinema, no one has actually even heard of him which I feel very sad about. I would say there are two categories for an actor, excellent actors and Mohanlal. In excellent actors Mammootty, Kamal Hassan and Amitabh will come. They all have hailed Mohanlal as one of the best they have seen.


He is in Kerala which is the best place to be for an actor. And if Keralites have to accept an actor, he has to be very good and Mohanlal is the best of all who maybe wouldn't have gone far maybe in Hindi. Good looks and style aren't given a preference in Malayalam at all and thank god he was born in Kerala at the right time (80's and 90's were the golden period of Malayalam).


I actually wasn't born in his era, was born much after that. Now I am a teenage girl. I watched much of his films in the 80's and 90's long after the release like after the 2007 or 2008 I think so. My mom was a big fan of Mohanlal, and at the time when I was growing up, films done by him were not good at all) (it was a quality deterioration period in Malayalam film industry, now the phase is over).


She made me watch all his films just to show me what he is. But once I watched all his old films, I accepted what she said that he is a 'unmatchable' actor. I came to know what a world class actor he is and I actually couldn't help liking his natural acting. He is the most versatile actor too, smashing in any kind of role let it be emotional, serious, comedy. His comic timing is actually wonderful shown in films like Chithram, Boieing Boeing, Nadodikattu etc. And serious roles like Vanaprastham and Bharatham won him the national award for best actor too. Simply put, I don't think any actor in India has the range that he has. Only Kamal Hassan can somewhat match up to him, but that too somewhat. Other than him, no one else.


(Article by Radhika R Babu)

Comments